Originally Posted by Sunil
Welcome to Pond Boss!

The jury is out, or at least partially out, on how well SMB and HSB control Bluegill populations.

If you have a good, recurring source for adult SMB, I would stay on the conservative side of stocking numbers as you can always add more later, but we still have the question on how well they'll control the bluegill. Maybe start with 30-40?

For the HSB, what size can you get them in? Usually, they come in less than 8" size ranges. For that, maybe 20-30?

I've been struggling to understand the complete role of Golden Shiners in smaller bodies of water. With your 5 lbs. of 3" GSH, I think you may end up have reduced recruitment numbers across all breeding species which may support your goals.

I'd say the SMB will be in the 12" range, and HSB could be 15-20" range. I have a good source luckily. Considering this starting size, my food sources, and size of pond, I was thinking around 20 SMB and 5 HSB. Would this be appropriate given their size, and biomass from the GSH & BG?

Regarding BG, the ones I have already put in (approx 200) would be too big for SMB and HSB this size. Just too tall. I have read a lot of people on here saying that both SMB and HSB have helped control their populations of small BG though, which would definitely be a plus.

With the GSH, it wasn't so much to add numbers to my food source as it was variety. I know they will compete with the BG for certain food sources and that's totally fine. Both spawn prolifically, which is another plus. I've read the HSB and SMB both prefer GSH over BG, but if the BG and GSH keep each other in check (somewhat), I'm hoping the BG won't be as high in numbers with a lot of the young ones getting eaten as there hopefully won't be 'excessive' GSH either. Will just have to see how this goes.