I plant plots as Imoore does; generic roundup (glyphosate), spread seed, mow. Preferably before rain.

In the fall I broadcast several clovers, chicory, awnless wheat, rye, alfalfa, and radishes.

Clovers include; Ladino, med red, balansa fixation, arrowleaf, etc. They will root this fall then take off next spring under the cereal grains.

The cereal grains will provide winter green immediately. Then the Awnless wheat provides a mid summer grain.

After the cereal's head out I might mow to knock weeds down. At this point the clovers, chicory, and alfalfa will be going strong. Diversity is important. When the clovers hit a dry spell in the summer the alfalfa excels. When the annual clovers petter out the chicory springs to life. Rye and wheat add organic matter to the soil, chicory mines minerals from their deep taproot to the surface. Radishes drill holes in the ground for better water infiltration. etc.

If you want quail then plant milo or beans. Both can be planted in the spring or early summer and then converted to clovers and cereal grains in the fall. If you don't have sand then you might find a pile of sand for grit can be very attractive to quail. Warning- both milo and beans won't make much grain if you have very many deer at all, or if you plant small amounts.