Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Originally Posted by DrLuke
We have two, mature Chinese chestnut trees. They produce mast every year (the nut husk is covered in spikes that would make a porcupine proud). The pods pop open and drop out 3-4 chestnuts. The deer absolutely love them. We have lots of burr oak as well. I have observed deer preferentially eating hickory nuts in our hunting timber. We have smooth bark hickory around here.
I have also planted some Dunstan chestnuts, and 3 of the 4 are close to mast bearing size (took about 5 years). Dunstan's are blight resistant. American Chestnuts were all but wiped out by a blight, but a blight resistant cultivar is being worked on still. Chinese chestnuts are also blight resistant.
I think FishinRod is on to something, re: adding some forage or cover that wasn't available before helps attract more wildlife.
Dr Luke do the deer eat the burr oak acorns? We planted some Dunstan chestnut an had a hard Time with them te first summer drought keeping them watered. This is the first year that we have had any acorns due to freeze -1 and next 2years of drought. Deer are passing the feeders for corn and protein going after acorns ( great news) keeping the slaughter down a bit from our neighbors who pay no attention to laws at all.

Yep. They prefer white oak and pin oak acorns at our place, but definitely eat the burr oak acorns too. You known how it is, you only eat the plain potato chips once the doritos are all gone...

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.