First of all I apologize if I am in wrong section and asking stupid question.

Here is my situation. I have a small pond in Northern Virginia, 1/2 of an acre or so. The pond is fairly deep and never dries out since it is the starting point of a creek - or run as it is called here. We live at this place for 20 years and for 10 years I run an aerator in the pond. I also stocked the pond several times with channel catfish and minnows. I know the catfish are there - they come up for food. Also bluegills, of course.

The plan for the pond is and always was to grow catfish and eat them, but I can not get them out. Yes, I admit I suck at fishing. grin Like this year I caught several bluegills and nothing else I tried store bought bait, chicken liver, chicken meat that sat with the chicken liver and stunk to heaven - nothing.

The biggest thing I caught this year was a 12" snapper - and it broke free before I got it out. I was not really unhappy about that, since I did not feel unhooking a snapper would be a pleasant experience.

So, I am looking for advice on a trap or any legal way to catch and sort out my fish. Or how to use fishing rod better, maybe its just me. I would not mind getting a bucket or two of bluegills* out and of course catfish is the primary goal here.

* Bluegills I use to make fish soup stock.