Originally Posted by jpsdad
Here is my question. Why is the range of weights so divergent for the original stockers? One is 3 times weight of others. Is this a sex difference mostly? >6 lb SMB is very remarkable. 😀
There is the shooter theory (some fish are just prone (food, genetics, aggression, sex, competition, timing, whatever) to grow faster than others. It is not uncommon among sibling predator fish for some to vastly outgrow their brothers and sisters early in life. Yes, a 6 lb. SMB is very large. I was under the impression that the SMB were from more than one source (spawning group). That could easily make a difference.

Originally Posted by anthropic
This tends to back my amateurish theory that LMB aggression is greatly influenced by the availability of forage. If there's plenty to eat, no big rush to feed. If not, better get it while you can.

That tendency would also help explain why Florida strain bass are less aggressive than Northern strain, as FLMB have 12 months to eat but NLMB don't.

Not so sure about that. Several TX studies have shown through large scale electroshocking programs that many of the largest LMB in mixed populations are high % Fla/North crosses with the non-aggressive tendency reduced/eliminated by a low % of northern genes. The pure Flas were not as large or prevalent.