A suggestion that could work if you have a decent size pump: Put a tee in the pipe near the pond with a valve on the top and both inline connections. Also put a valve on the downside exit of the pipe to restrict flow (if your pump is less than 4" and open this downside valve as much as you can with the pump pressure keeping the pipe full). Hook the pump up to the tee and draw from the pond with the valve on the pump and pondside open to fill this draw pipe (you may also need a valve on the bottom of the draw line if your pump is not large enough to completely fill the draw line. You will want to first fill the draw line only and then simultaneously open the valve on the tee heading toward the siphon drain line and closing the valve on the draw side. The draw side should stay full of water since the top end is now sealed near the pump. Water should now fill the exit side if the valve on the exit is set correctly for the pump, and force all the air from this line. The valve on the end of the draw line in the pond can now be opened completely. The next thing is to shut off the pump and close the pump valve simultaneously, and then immediately open the valve on the draw side of the tee. This should leave you with a full siphon line. Opening the exit valve fully at the bottom of the siphon should allow it to run full tilt. Because I used a pump that was capable of filling my siphon line without restricting the flow on each end of the siphon tube, I did not need valves on the extreme ends of the inlet and outlet of the siphon line, but with 4" pipe, that would likely take a large pump. I hope this is not too confusing.

Last edited by RAH; 08/23/22 11:19 AM.