Hello all! I just signed a contract to purchase 10 acres with a 2.5 acre pond today! I have a million questions and much anxiety because I know so little about purchasing and maintaining ponds.
How do I find a qualified inspector who can inspect for proper drainage systems, water quality, and ecosystem quality? Would a Civil Engineer with PE stamp be needed for the dam inspection?
The pond is believed to be a natural body fed from watershed runoff. It is in an agricultural rea and two sides are packed in with large trees.
The owner says he has stocked the pond with bass, catfish, and bream.
Owner says lake is 6-8 feet deep. On Google Maps it seems more shallow than the other farm ponds in the area.
Owner said there was a "heavy rain" and a local road got damaged by overflow from lake. He said he made repairs but that obviously needs to be inspected.
Can anyone offer any advice for inspections and, specifically, reputable pond inspector(s) in the Georgia area?
Thanks in advance! If I survive this pond purchase I will be a new subscriber to the magazine! Thanks for providing this service to a very small but grateful niche!

Tom