Originally Posted by PBODE
I FOUND THE CONVERSATION I NEED DESPARTELY !! Hi. I am imposing myself here..... I have only a 1 acre pond. It is shallow 5' deep or so at most in the middle. I am in process of getting electricity moved to the shoreline so I can add aeration. The more people I speak to the more confused I get. I have only been dealing w my home/pond since 2017, my husband died a year ago and I have to figure this out. Diffusers, I should only need 3 or 4. Some say a Fountainaire would be enough to move in some oxygen for my pond. My pond is not deep so do the diffuser plate type make sense for me?

I think I need a system w 3 diffusers; what brand? AIRMAX, OTTOBINE ,AEROLATOR AIRMASTER, KASCO? Thanks so much~ Peggy B
Sorry to hear of your husband's passing.

I've done a lot of research but there are some in this thread that do this for a living. The smaller the pond the more it will need aeration from what I've found. Basically the wind can't push the water effectively. If the pond has a lot of trees around it blocking the wind it makes the problem worse. During the summer the sun will warm the water at the top of the pond but the water at the bottom close to the bottom will be cooler, this causes stratification where oxygen is depleted from the bottom section of water that doesn't mix with the top at all. Kind of like two layers in a cake but the frosting between keeps the oxygen in the top layer from getting to the bottom layer of water.

As far as what's the best system I've no clue. Basically anything is better than nothing and I suspect most of the major companies are doing the same thing it comes down to marketing and salesmanship.