jpsdad - IMO I do not think your term of "pushing" the fishery in a northern 50 ac michigan lake is a good idea mainly because accelerates the eutrophication of this apparent clear water body. A water body this size even one in low nutrients (mesotrophic) is with good wise management well capable of producing several fishery scenarios that includes large predators. However fish and habitat management is a key item for desired results.

Your management examples above are primarily IMO southern fertile water based and may not be very appropriate or accurate for this particular water body in what I think is its current northern trophic status - clear water mesotrophic. Also your carrying capacity and standing crop estimates are likely elevated and based on southern fertile waters composed of a primarily the bluegill bass community structure. I think this water body does not fit well into a southern fishery biomass. IMO until a good study of the fish community species structure is performed, fish management speculation is just that - speculation - best guesses based on the evaluator's hands on knowledge and fish management experiences. Fisheries often do not read and follow the research studies because every water body has its own unique ecological characteristics. Be careful when applying general concepts to all water bodies assuming them to all be very similar.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/07/22 09:14 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management