Mistickslinger,

I think you have identified the appropriate remedy. You didn't mention the age of the lake. For example, was it existing when your family acquired the property? Is it natural lake or man made? Was the lake 15 years of age 10 years ago?

You should consider the pike and LMB both predators. And both should be culled to free forage for remaining predators. You have so much acreage I probably would not feed. Especially if the lake is natural and old. For every pike or LMB harvested ... expect 300 to 800 additional forage fish to feed the remaining predators of similar size. It's just that you do have a lot of water to manage. IMHO it will be a challenge to harvest enough of them. Fertilizing or feeding will also increase recruitment of predator fish and so I think feeding would undermine your efforts to reduce predator numbers.

On the other hand, removing 1 pound of predator will free >5 lbs of forage. At a feed conversion rate of 1.3 ... harvesting 1 pound of predator has a minimum forage value of $12 where feed costs 1.50 a pound smile. So if you harvest 15 pounds per acre of predators annually ... this is will produce at least $9000 of feed equivalent forage each year.

I struggled with what to do about the pike. It wasn't clear to me whether you should try to eliminate them ... or perhaps to nurture some large ones. For the LMB, I think (removing) any fish smaller than 14" will promote your goal. The pike? If a few large ones are a benefit .... then maybe (remove) any fish smaller than 24" (something which may be all of them right now) Both species of predators will benefit from culling effort.

Anyways, please keep in mind that the current situation is at least 10 years in the making and it will take some time to return the lake to its former glory. Good luck and keep us posted on management efforts and results.

Last edited by jpsdad; 08/04/22 01:23 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers