Originally Posted by liquidsquid
Nice little tractor back there!
I am always a bit cautious of BG algae blooms, which can be fairly hazardous. The orange, unknown, but perhaps pollen from water plants in the pond? If it smells bad (very obviously not fish smell), or looks like spilled paint, stay out!

LS and Snipe,
It very well could have been pollen. I’ve been trying to figure out what plants may have been producing pollen. My guess is, it’s the American pond weed. It has a funny stem that comes up this time of year. I haven’t looked at it closely, but it must have some kind of a flower on that stem. Maybe it’s orange?
There was no foul odor to the algae or pollen, whatever it is. We swam in it for four days, with no adverse side effects (so far). Ate some YP, HBG, HSB, and SMB for dinner last night. No I’ll effects so far.
The kids were trying to net frogs and or tadpoles. They caught crawfish and some glass shrimp almost all the way around the pond. I believe the pond weed is helping. We also just had another hatch of GSH. There are schools of fry everywhere. We still catch a lot of RES, but none big enough to eat.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023