Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by ArbyTX
man... sticker shock. 93k dollars for the first bid to dig and line a 1 acre pond....Had no idea it would be that expensive. Going to have to downscale big time...

Did that quote include a commercial pond liner?

If you have decent clay at your property, you can seal your pond with clay. (Of course, in some regions they call that a "clay liner".)

It is a high quote for sure, yes a commercial pond liner 45mm thick. That alone is 24k retail minimum.

I think the key here is to learn more.. read and design and rethink, take my time, and then hire a dirt person to either DO the work, or get out there with an excavator and a bobcat and, over time, dig it myself.

I would be paying for their expertise, and I have zero doubt it is / would be a great pond, but even the scaled down version they emailed is 60-70k.... so... 4500, for a week with an excavator and a really knowledgeable person to run it.. and I could get it dug out enough to shape and mold with a bobcat. Then seal it with bentonite.... easier to do than a liner with my lack of expertise.

Not something I will go into lightly, quickly, or without learning more, but.. if I want the pond, I will have it.. just need to do it smarter and more diy... heh.. we shall see.

But.. like mentioned, I am going to have to find someone to take all the dang dirt lol