Hi pond friends!

So we have a three-quarter acre pond, and we are seeing some pretty substantial drought right now. The pond is more than a foot lower than it should be. I know that’s not a lot for some places, but it’s very significant for us.

This pond was ignored for decades, and I am trying to help it. It has zero, I repeat zero emergent plants. There are plants on the shore, and there is a crap – ton of Coontail, what does nothing like cattails or pickleweed or anything like that that helps to stabilize the bank.

What I need help with is figuring out plants that can be submerged in water up to a foot over their crown. There’s a pretty good drop off right at the edge of the shore, it’s not like a slope where I have a lot of places where I can plant things that will just have 3 inches of water over them.

A lot of the reading I have done says that things like pickerel weed will only survive if there’s 4 inches of water above them. I know there’s stuff like cattails, but that is also supposedly aggressive and will take over the pond.

So put another way, what can I plant in the pond at the shoreline that’s like pickerel weed but can tolerate up to a foot of water over it most of the year, and was like cattails, but won’t grow out in water up to 4 feet deep?

In Connecticut.

Thanks!