I have inherited my grandfather's farm with 20 acre pond in deep S. Georgia. The nucleus of his pond was a Gin Pond from the 1800's...I think it might have been 3-4 acres per some old maps. In the early 1950's he logged upstream from the Gin Pond and left the pine, cypress and whatever else stumps in place...they were cut from 6-12" above ground level.

Last February I cut the side dam and drained the pond. It was "fished" in 1975, last time I remember it being drained. It has gotten sedimented/sludged, started developing trembling earth (like in the Okefenokee) and we are the process of trying to restore the pond to its 1950's state. Here are some pictures of how he left the stumps from way back. His pond (Boyette Pond) was well known for big bass, bream, crappie in the 60's - 80's when it was open to the public for "pay fishing". He had a box on the front porch where folks paid to fish.

Attached Images
spillwell - canal - culverts  (3) RESIZED.jpg mill site - wheels  (8) RESIZED.jpg mill site - wheels  (9) RESIZED.jpg mill site - wheels  (12) RESIZED.jpg mill site - wheels  (18) RESIZED.jpg pond checkup on drain status  (11) RESIZED.jpg spillwell - canal - culverts  (1) RESIZED.jpg spillwell - canal - culverts  (2) RESIZED.jpg spillwell - canal - culverts  (18) RESIZED.jpg