Originally Posted by esshup
jpsdad:

The bass in the pond are eating the smaller bass. Remember, the OP said they have multiple ponds and this one is a mono culture of LMB.

In the post above where I answered the OP, he wrote:

"Honestly think my goals have just changed. I like the thought of monster BG, I have my pond which is a hodge podge of species and I wouldn't be able to do that in it. Plus no way my wife would let me nuke that pond. She sends me to it for bass fillets when we are there."

That's why I replied to him with the answer that I did.

I didn't think your thoughts were wrong. Just wanted to introduce the possibility that he could expend a lot of the energy trying to catch a >14" LMB (even if a couple are in there).

Part of the reason I suggested the mature male only ladder scenario is that it's results would not be so dependent on the LMB. IOWs, he could harvest them (LMB) or not ... or just take what he wants when he wants. Other than stocking the ladder BG, the BG wouldn't need to be managed, harvested, or culled either. It kind of like two ponds that way. An LMB only pond with only small population of BG that grow very large but do not reproduce. If the BG reproduce, he will be culling alot of 5" BG in order to match the results. He will also have to manage for small LMB as you recommended.

Last edited by jpsdad; 07/11/22 08:51 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers