Originally Posted by FireIsHot
Originally Posted by anthropic
Ross, I hear of many folks who've had bad experiences with grass carp. Overstocking is a real risk, and it is so tempting when you look at a pond or lake covered with weeds.

I got permission to stock grass carp, but hesitate to do so. Once used herbicide which was effective, though I prefer not to use chemicals. Tough call!

Grass carp are never an issue. But, a pond owners incorrect stocking of them can be a really big issue.

I would never stock GC at a rate that eliminated the targeted plant. If the GC do their job, then the potential for turbid water is extremely high. Think control, not eliminate. I currently have 120 GC in my big pond, and the water's clear as a bell. The initial stocking was 50%(60), and then another 20 were stocked every other year. So it took 6 years to complete the stocking. Ladder stocking does 2 things. One, it let's you reevaluate every 2 years, so stocking can stop if everything's going well. And two, as the older GC slow down their consumption, the younger GC will take over.

Think Goldilocks and the 3 bears. If you don't stock enough, then problematic plants won't be controlled. If you stock to many, then by the second year, you could be dealing with a turbid pond that's extremely difficult to correct. If you do a proper evaluation, get a permit(if required) for the correct amount of GC, and ladder stock those GC as needed, then everything should be just right.

Grass Carp Preferences

FIH, how many TGC is that per acre in the pond?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).