I have invented a snake trap. Just dreamed it up, have not built or tested, but it should work.

After several times of flipping the aluminum boat over and finding multiple snakes under it, so much so that I now fear to turn it over and have a rope tied to the side of it to pull it over (and away) from a distance... It dawned on me that copperheaded rattlemoccasins like to crawl under stuff.

So I plan to take a piece of plywood, saw it in half, then put wire netting (wire cloth) around the periphery so that the two pieces of plywood make the top and bottom of a cage that is only about 3 or 4 inches high. In the sides (the wire cloth) make some funnels (like in the fish trap) to allow entry for snakes. So that they can go in but not back out.

A bit of internet research yields the idea that additional wire cloth placed around the trap could be used to steer snakes into it. I also found that you can buy "snake netting" which they try to crawl through and get tangled in, sorta like a gill net for fish.

Nick Smith