Originally Posted by PAfarmPondPGH69
Update to the trash pump. Have a 301cc/3" full trash pump with 65' intake and 350' of exit hose.

Pump works great but as expected progress is a bit slow. There is some clogging in the shallows around the edge but out in the deeper spots its pure sludge with nothing to clog the intake screen.

In the deeper end the sludge is about 2' deep starting at 5-6' water depth but I have not yet been to the deepest spot.

The muck on the inflow end is 2' deep where the water is less than a foot. I did a test spot and while there was a lot of sticks and leaves I was able to pump it down to hard clay. I will have to get a picture once the water clears.

For a much smaller pond or one thats less than 6' deep I think this would be a viable solution.

The muck is dark almost black so I'd think its mostly organic matter which I plan to treat once I get more pumping done.

A guestimate I've pumped 10-15000 gallons of muck. I'll have to measure and time some pumping but I'd expect 1500 gallons of muck an hour.

I'm encouraged by your progress!

What are you doing with the muck - Retention pit? Trailer? Dewatering bags? Your garden/field?

What is your technique? Are you actively having to work the intake hose around?

I was in my pond on Sunday adjusting the dock. I don't know many steps I was out, but it wasn't very far before I was in 12"+ of muck.

Any pics of your setup you can share, either here, or I'm happy to PM you and share an email.

Thanks!

Last edited by zuren; 06/28/22 11:23 AM.

Share a 1.7 acre, kidney shaped pond with 2 neighbors; Stocked with bass and bluegill