So it's official. The watermeal is gone. I didn't think it was possible let alone likely.

However, the nutrients are still there and the filamentous algae is going to town. The algae made a brief appearance last year before the watermeal took over and (apparently) out competed it.

The pond is only ¾ acre and so I tried mechanical removal for a few weeks but it became clear that I was running on a treadmill. I broke down and got some algaecide, but used it very sparingly. I don’t mind the algae but just cleaned up a few areas for access to fishing and some aesthetics. Really wish VA allowed tilapia!

Given that the algae is anchored to the shore line, I’m not chasing it around the pond when the wind changes like the watermeal.
All in, it’s an improvement. In the next year or so I’ll be putting in an aeration system and I hope that provides some help.
Pond continues to be remarkably clear with visibility hovering anywhere from 3-5 feet which is certainly helping the algae grow. Luckily the pond is very deep throughout so that is working in my favor.