Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Rod
How many fish do you think a GBH can perp a day?

Is "How many do you have?" the correct answer?

I have only ever seen a GBH catch and swallow small fish and a frog. I have never seen them spear a fish. However, I have seen lots of pics on Pond Boss of "speared" fish.

I think I must be fishing in ponds with too many small fish!

All our perch loss to GBH are from being speared. They will hit them and not be able to eat them. Then they are just left to die slowly. Our latest loss was are night during their spawn. Now that the fish feeder is out there they will come in at dusk when the feeder is set to go off.

We have watched these GBH for some time and a decoy works well. If they see there is a GBH already on the bank of the pond they won't land until they get comfortable with it or its much harder to get a meal else where.

I have personally watched them puke in the pond to chum the minnows. My thoughts when I seen that is if there is a live bass or northern pike in there they would maybe change the balance of our pond. We have scared them so bad that they puke on the shore and we have watched the minnows they have eaten flop around on the grass.

Crafty buggers they are. Cheers,

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.