Ohtrpond,

My biggest concern is the organic load your water is currently carrying. This is probably the source of the stressors that the Snipe is referring. I don't have the experience to tell you if the disease is caused by fungus, bacteria, protozoa, etc. But I suspect that the water is probably carrying above average concentrations of at least one of them and the water is definitely carrying an intense bloom of autotrophic (microscopic algae). So it is unclear to me what treatment to do at this time. Killing any of these will only feed the fungi, bacteria, and protozoa and run the risk of severe oxygen depletion. We see this happen every year where members post similar experiences and these outbreaks seem to run their course. Occasionally Terramycin treated feed is recommended. But by and large ... larger, older fish tend to succumb with survival of smaller fish.

There's so much we don't know but (I think) what those fish really need is happy water and that is something you can't turn around with a quick treatment given the current state of the pond's bloom. You need a forward looking plan that would help to prevent or mitigate against recurring extended periods of intense bloom such that fish are currently enduring.

Last edited by jpsdad; 06/20/22 07:12 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers