Originally Posted by volguy9595
I have two black max reels and they both have the same problem. No matter how much I adjust the star wheel, one way or the other, I cannot pull any line out no matter how hard I try. It must be something simple and I must be an idiot because it is the same problem on both reels. I have another baitcaster that I can adjust the star wheel and change the drag just fine though. The tension and brake setting adjustments are fine. Any idea?

You might need to take the side plate off and see if the drag washers are frozen together. I know you aren't fishing in salt water, but when I was fishing on the big pond, more experienced fishermen told me to back the drag off 99% of the way when I wasn't on the boat fishing. That did two things. 1) It prevented the drag washers from sticking together when stored for a while and 2) it prevented the drag washers from getting compression spots in them and if that happened, it made the drag jerky. Now we were using a much higher drag force than you are in fresh water, but just trying to figure out what is going on.

How long have you had them and have you done any maintenance to them if you've had them a while?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).