I’m trying to kill American pond weed and it’s growing around my aerator. I thought aerators were supposed to help kill weeds?

I’m renovating an old pond. It’s about 1/4 acre. It’s feed by streams in the winter and springs throughout your he rest of the year. In the summer the level drops by 6 feet. When the water level drops pond weed covers the surface and algae thrives. For two years I’ve been using muck away, pond dye, this year I started using an aeration system 24/7. The water level hasn’t even started to drop and I’m seeing pond weed bloom right next to where the bubbles are coming up.

I’ve been reading through the forum and I understand most of you want pond weed and are having the opposite problem I’m having. I have also seen where crawdads can help.

This summer I will be putting in a fish gate and applying for grass carp permits.

This thing has plenty of other problems. Otters came through and killed all the big fish, and it had some good ones. Now it’s over populated even with the herons coming in. Most of the fish are barely big enough to get on the hook.

Lots of work ahead.

Right now I’m just focused on getting rid of the pond weed. Any help is appreciated. Was I wrong to think aeration would help?

Attached Images
9C54D564-4ABC-4556-AB6A-8E8B6C95AAC9.png