Got a rough estimate from a pond installer today, based on pics I sent and a description of what I wanted done:

"Ok. you have some major ground water issues that have to be addressed first if you are going to put a pond there. As far as the size and shape, it really comes down to budget as we can build any pond shape and size from a small 5’x6’ turtle pond for about $6,000 to an unlimited budget pond. I consider all water features as an investment and do not consider any of them inexpensive. Think of them like an in-ground swimming pool but slightly more expensive to build; the only difference is a pool doesn’t add much to the value of your home, while a pond does add equity.

The pond you are describing is complicated and would require a considerable investment. The biggest thing to consider to lower the overall cost is that, the deeper you go, the more expensive it becomes. At 5’ deep things such as bottom aeration and water jets are required to eliminate water stratification layers; therefore I would recommend not to exceed 32”.

Based on that information, our 15’l x 22’w x 30”d starts at $30,450, and as seen in the picture below is $45,750 (not including the flagstone patio). This pond (as seen) has a few extras including, a bio-falls and a spillway to oxygenate the pond, lights, aeration system, landscape package, and two small streams.

The bottom drains for the water mitigation issue you have would add another $3,890, bringing the total for a similar pond of this size to $49,640."

Those numbers are WAY higher than I'd imagined. I will get a few more quotes to be sure, but are the problems he's envisioning really problems that will cost that much to correct? Or could I just excavate a better shape and size basin, remove the stump and put a good liner down and call it a day? Granted, he is used to installing ponds that will house expensive koi... I just wanted to keep a few bluegills in there for mosquito control. With a fountain for water movement and surface agitation.

Thoughts?