Hey everyone,

It appears that none of my fish successfully spawned this year. I walk around the pond and see no fish smaller than 4”. I figured maybe it was too early in the year, but I was at my friends pond today and they’re are small 1-2” fish everywhere around the outside of this pond. Hundreds and thousands of minnow sized bluegills.

This leads me to believe that something is wrong in my pond, but I’m not sure what’s up. The temp in the pond was measured at 74 degrees today, and it’s been in the 70s for about a week.

Here are my questions:
1. Would it be past years spawn that produces the small 1-2” fish I see in my friends pond (bass & bluegill pond) or would that be fish from this year?
2. I have a huge weed problem this year. My pond is inundated. Basically every square foot of the surface is covered with weeds and algae. We’ve been waiting to remove it because I wanted to let the fish spawn in peace… but I’m wondering if it’s possible to have too many weeds for the fish to spawn?
3. I’ve also noticed the water seems browner this year than in previous years. More sedimentation, less visibility. Could that be a factor?

Not sure where to start with fixing this pond. I added the bluegills last spring and would love to get them reproducing. Didn’t get much last year, and not looking like we’re getting much this year either. Any thoughts?

Thanks.