Originally Posted by GT3RS
Update; tried fishing for HBG and LMB and nothing...

Worked almost every lure that I have.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

If your LMB and BG succumbed with premature mortality you need to ask yourself two questions.

1. How likely is this to happen again?

2. Am I OK with this recurring?

The approach that I would take is to roll with the punches. You already know that CC are less susceptible so its a good candidate as a pond fish for your location. If the LMB and HBG had complete kill then you have to decide if you find it acceptable to experience that again. If not, then you might try some other ideas ... here are a few if all the LMB and HBG are gone.

1. If temps reach the 70s, consider stocking Blue Tilapia if allowed in NY. Stock small YOY fish up to 500/year. They will provide a harvest of fish in 1/4 to 1/2 lb range. Those you can't catch will be carted off by critters along with their nutrients. They will not likely reproduce.

2. Consider dropping the HBG altogether. If you don't mind single season growth of LMB ... consider stocking them as fingerlings each year. I prefer a 4" to 6" LMB after you've noted reproduction of your minnows. This reduces the number of fish you stock after each kill. Work with a number like 30 per annum and harvest as many as you can each fall. If you are unable to catch them all you can get another year of growth. If they winterkill then you utilized most. If the LMB spawn in the spring then you shouldn't stock. Did you ever get a spawn of LMB?

3. GSH and FHM are two minnow species that do really well at surviving winter DO. Each flourish in CC only ponds also but GSH may outcompete FHM. FHM will die relatively young compared to GSH so there is more turnover with them which is very good for CC which recycle sick, dying, and even dead FHM. With intense fall harvest of LMB, muted or nonexistent LMB reproduction, and limited numbers of LMB. Either of these minnows could coexist as legitimate prey long term for the small LMB sizes. Whether long term or not, after LMB winter kill they would quickly fill your pond with forage.

I am just thinking of ways to make lemonade from tough situation. Wish you the best on this.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers