Originally Posted by tdbdds
Dr. Luke-
I have a couple ponds in southern Iowa and have put up 2 wood wood duck houses and 2 plastic type house. Each winter I place new wood chips. I have been at this for 5-6 years but have never had wood ducks stay. I occasionally will see them on pond but never any chicks.

Any advice on getting wood duck to stay in houses. What you use to line bottom of house.

Tom

Hi Tom! I am happy to try and help. Can you post some pictures of your pond and your houses? Both close up and from far away? It would help me render an opinion.

I use wood chips. Usually cedar but whatever is available. But don't use sawdust. It'll clump from the hen going in and out of the box with a wet belly.

Like all the animals sportsman love (fish to deer), ducks are drawn to good feed sources, and good habitat. Woodies love acorns so oak trees near your pond help. Hens also need shoreline plant cover to hide the brood in. Some duckweed is nice too, as baby ducks love it.
So boxes alone may not be enough if the hen doesn't find the right environment for her brood.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.