Originally Posted by LANGSTER
Does anybody out there have any affordable aeriation ideas for pond with no electric even close bye?

There is the DIY Solar power option. With the prices associated with buying a system, DIY can be attractive for those on a tight budget.

I had tried to plan out a Solar system for my pond using a rocking piston pump but they demand too much power and the cost for battery storage was prohibitive for me. I would recommend setting your sights on a diaphragm pump such as a Hiblow, that will have lower electric requirements. There's always the option to find a cheaper brand as well but you usually get what you pay for.

I am no solar expert whatsoever though. I just know what little I learned while trying to map out the option for myself although I eventually went to using my house power for my aeration.

You'll need solar panels, 100W can be found for around $100 a piece. You'll need a controller (< $100, maybe < $50), an inverter (< $100, maybe < $50) , battery and an optional timer if you don't want to run it 24/7 (all of which can be found on Amazon and the questions and reviews found with these items can be very informative). Some of those items you can find cheap (controller, inverter) as you'll likely build a system that doesn't require a lot of power. If you haven't went this route with something before, some youtube searches on DIY can be beneficial to get the right components that work with each other and serve your needs. Also, I found a forum that was a big help where members will try to help you with your projects much like the community here does. Also, there are resources on this site as well.

The solar forum I am speaking about is at https://diysolarforum.com/

It wouldn't surprise me if you could find a system that works for your size pond that's $1000 or less if you purchase the items and install it yourself.

One day I'd like to build one myself for the part of my pond that's too far away from my house to run electricity.

Last edited by SherWood; 05/13/22 10:31 AM.