QA,

I love that fleet of pallet stacks you have there. I wish I would have done more myself. The rocks are nice too. I put a few pallets in my pond before it filled and a few large brush piles, mostly cedar. I am hoping the minnows will make the most of it. I have some large rocks and lots of gravel and smaller rock.

I may just try to find some free or cheap pallets in town and use wood from those. The idea for corrugated pipe was from some examples I saw on the internet of other people's breeding structure. I thought it may offer more privacy. Thing is though is that I don't want to sink too much money into this. Cheap and easy would be preferable. I have a zillion things I'd like to buy this Spring so if I can go cheap somewhere and still make something function adequately, I'll go that route. If I used pipe, I'd have to figure out how to fasten it or use chicken wire to hold it all in which is a bit befuddling to me. I am thinking about building two or four removable units inside my 4' x 4' x 4' cage while still leaving some room in the center in case I want to run a minnow net through it to pull some out. For the minnow pool (if I ever get that far), my cage will be 4'x4'x2' and likely stick out of the water but I will also have the option of moving that into the pond if I want. For the pool I am going to have to purchase an aerator, pool, and some kind of filter. I am thinking sponge filter that I can run off the aerator. I might also set up a second pool where I can transfer the fry into, let them grow a little and eventually put them into the pond. (more money, uggh)

This will all be one big learning experience but it has my interest up. I am not sure I'll have a pool setup going before the summer heat sets in. I'd hate to be so late that the heat gets high enough to where it restricts breeding. If I can do it and if I am happily surprised with the production, I'll build more cages for the pond as time and money permits.

Last edited by SherWood; 05/10/22 08:58 AM.