Originally Posted by esshup
How will you keep the FA from growing and clogging the water movement through the cage material?

Hmmm, another thing I haven't considered. It's nice to have others help troubleshoot potential problems before I build this thing so I don't spend too much time and money on something that is doomed from the onset or needlessly troubled. Like with the galvanized hardware cloth, I may have purchased and used that material without realizing just how harmful it would end up being on the minnows if it wasn't brought up here.

I guess I'll have to maintain the cage and clear any obstructions that may arise if it starts to become a problem. If I make it, I plan to do it so that I can move it around. I'll limit the size to something I can handle or make two smaller ones. Currently, our algae appears to be on the decline and is mostly situated near the banks. If it becomes too big of a problem along the walkway, I can possibly move the cage out to the deeper end of the dock. I'll have some floats attached and I could put a cover over at least part of the top to provide some shade. I do plan to fully cover the top with whatever netting material I will use too. I'll probably make it such that I can open the entire top and then also include a smaller trap door entrance in the top.