My personal pond is 19' deep when at full pool, even last year with the low water levels it was 13' deep. I run the diffuser on the bottom in the deepest part of the pond all summer long, because I want the highest level of O2 available at the bottom of the pond for the aerobic bacteria to have O2 to help digest organics.

I haven't seen any of my fish (nor my customers fish) suffering from that practice.

A customer has a pond that is close to 30' deep. We have been able to keep trout alive all summer long by running a diffuser at about 1/2 total pond depth and letting the trout bounce between the cooler water below the thermocline and the hotter water above the thermocline. He runs that system plus a surface agitator 24/7.

If someone really wants to have cool water at the bottom of the pond with O2 in it look at Vertex OST aeration technology. They can oxygenate the water below the thermocline without disrupting the thermocline. But the price tag might turn off a high number of pond owners. Since they haven't come out with concrete prices on such a system, lets just say that the systems that I've priced out have had a price tag that was about the same or more than it cost to dig the pond in the first place. BUT you can tailor the O2 levels to whatever you need, AND you can inject alum with it to get your water clarity exactly like you want it. You want 6' of clarity? No problem.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).