Originally Posted by esshup
If you are feeding has it been in the same area of the pond and at the same time of day EVERY DAY? If not, then the fish will have a hard time figuring out your feeding schedule. That's why the automated fish feeders are so popular, they will feed the fish even if you aren't there.
Hand feeding the fish not only have to be hungry but they have to be used to you being there and not afraid of you. That can take some time. They may be showing up right after they know you have left.

Fish know a lot more about what is going on around the bank than we sometimes give them credit. When I stocked my CC I almost did not see them the first year. Yet if I stood really still I would catch a glimps of one or two on the bottom looking for pellets that had sank and the BG missed. So they were there and knew it was feeding time, they were just skittish enough to stay out of sight till I left. Now I can throw feed out and as soon as a BG or hybrid hits the top of the water it is the dinner bell for the CC and they show up in short order. Once they learn, they don't unlearn. It may take them a day or three to get back into the feeding habit after a winter of no feeding, but they quickly get back into the routine.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine