Originally Posted by Snipe
[quote=canyoncreek]Update on the Mallard 'tube' !!

I watched the tube closely and no activity. We went on a road trip for spring break for 10 days and had a fair amount of rain when we were gone. We came home and the roll of wire with hay had gotten a bit water logged and had rolled over off the wood 2x4 base and was hanging over the edge. It looked squished and the wooden post was leaning due to the odd weight distribution. I decided it would be better to buy big worm gear clamps and clamp it more securely to the wooden base.

When unfastening the 2x4 from the vertical mount post I jostled the cage and out dropped 3 eggs!! Unfortunately they dropped into deeper water where
I raised wild waterfowl, Pheasant and Quail for many years.. First, Eggs are porous but have an air sac that acts like a diaphragm..
When eggs are collected, you never rub them to clean if planning to hatch out. dirt/mud/poop fills the pores and THEN you have problems. Mud can be rinsed from eggs, soaked in a 5-6oz dish of water with a tablespoon of clorox to sanitize even, without bothering embryo. They could be under water for 10-15 min and not hurt anything unless covered with mud. They can be rinsed but not wiped clean.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this! The ones that hit the water were not dirty so was worried more about submerging time but sounds like that didn't hurt them. The others I rescued out of the straw and laid them on the bank of the pond for about 10 min and then all went back in the nest. The one that got under the mud couldn't be found due to water getting cloudy from us wading around in it.

I saw the male early this morning hanging out on the other side of the pond so not sure if the mom went back in the tube to check on the eggs now that the tube is upright and in proper position again. Lets hope! Otherwise, I can remove eggs in a week or so if they are abandoned and maybe we'll get a second batch from another mallard pair yet this season.