Dug test holes for pond locations at the farm yesterday. We have been very dry since October, so I was also able to test the variability of my ground water.

Success! Found good clay in 9 out of 10 holes. Several holes had pure blue clay at the bottom. I think I could make a pond that holds water like a bathtub with that stuff!

My subsoils were dry down to 6-8', and then I struck water. It would start seeping into the hole at depth. I struck clay within the next 6" every time there was water. It appears that my clay layers are continuous and there is still a little bit of groundwater migrating in the last bit of permeable sediment just above the clay seal.

I was worried that I would be forced to move lots of saturated sandy loam soils on top of wet clay to excavate my ponds. I now think I can accomplish our pond builds WITHOUT great difficulty, if I can get working during a semi-drought period.

The first step is to clear about 5 acres of land.

Does anybody happen to know if the goat in Al's thumbnail pic is available for contract work this spring? grin