I can get a bag of larger feed to mix with it, but I’m not sure if I will use 2 bags quickly enough for it to stay good. What is the shelf life on an opened bag?
Shelf life of pellet food somewhat depends a lot on the purpose of the food. If food is just for feeding free roaming pond fish then it could be good for 2 years because the pellets are just supplemental nutrition for the fish. As long as the pellets stay dry and do not gather a light gray color due to mold then they should be okay to feed to the free ranging pond fish. Generally any minor nutrient deterioration in the feed can be compensated by the fish feeding on natural foods in the pond. Real old fish pellets could over several years could become rancid due the fat content in the pellets. For longer term storage of high quality very high protein pellets I store them in a secondary refrigerator or freezer.

However if the pellet food is for fish who are solely dependent on pellets for all their health and vitality such as those confined in a tank, aquaculture or cage then the vitamin component nutrition becomes a more important factor and shelf life would be close to one year. Usually the first component to degrade in fish pellets is the vitamin C that is fairly stable.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management