As I've posted before, I'm digging a small pond on my 1 acre property (see attached picture). It's probably 3000-4000 sqft surface area. I'm on the banks of the Arkansas River so I only have sandy loam to work with in this deep and steep holler. I'm skipping to Plan C to fully line it with a heavy duty vinyl liner. I'm planning to buy them in manageable pieces and weld/cement them together in place, customizing each section as needed for nooks and crannies and anchoring the edges in a trench 1' above water line.

I've spoken to TJ on the phone a couple of times and he provided valuable help and good advice on this project, as I'm trying to achieve the most bang for my buck. I have three questions that TJ suggested I pose to the forum:

1. If I have a bed of solid sand with no rocks or sharp objects, do I need an underlayment for 20 or 35 mil material?
2. My contractor quoted me Qty 2 20" culvert pipes as overflow through the top of the dam. TJ thought that was wayyyy overkill and I agree after thinking about it. Anyone have a better gauge at rightsizing the outflow pipe? I have about an acre that drains this one spot, including my roof downspouts and several catch basins that move a ton of water. I'm obviously on a steep slope so erosion has been a problem.
3. Anyone have experience is fabricating a pipe sleeve/bib/collar (using same material as liner) to fit around the outflow culverts and then weld/seal to the main liner?

Many thanks!

Attached Images
IMG_0828.JPG