Bill, the state record in MI dates back to 1947. 21" and 3.5 lbs seems impossible. This record was caught in a small lake right by lake Superior in the far north (marquette county) of the UP almost as far north as Michigan gets. Only Copper Harbor point is further north. Think far north enough to almost have permafrost. And how would this non-descript lake with a very short warm water growing season ever produce a freaky large YP? Has the lake every produced anything else close?

I would love to research how it was certified and if this fish was genetically tested for proper ID. One has to wonder.

There is lots of food in Lake Michigan and fish rarely see YP length numbers past 14"

It is an interesting fact that although MI will give out master angler awards based on length, they will only certify state record fish based on weight (regardless of length)

A michigan angler set the Tennessee state record in 2019 with a 2 pound, 5 oz fish that was not quite 16".

Tennessee record 2019/MI angler

Bill, as you know Pond Boss member Cecil Baird grew giant perch. Here was a quote from him in 2010:

"Here's my biggest at 16 1/4 inches and 2 lbs. 13 oz. She would have shattered the (Indiana) state record by 5 oz. if my state would have allowed me to enter her. Feeding fish was considered an unfair advantage. Apparently my DNR doesn't know how common feeding fish in ponds is."

Picture is here:
https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=222346

Other pictures of behemoth pond raised YP, Trout and BG are posted here:

Beautiful pond raised trophy YP (plus BG,brook trout, Browns, Tiger trout)

===============

Yes, with good genetics, good feed, and good water conditions, lots of insects, snails, or pond pellets to eat, I bet Snipe, and others especially in ponds in milder climates will see 16-17" YP.

Dono from ontario how big do YP get in your pond?

For records set by weight, catching through ice or right at ice out when egg mass is largest will help establish those records.

Snipe happy to hear that this momma's genetically superior eggs may hatch in your pond again!

Last edited by canyoncreek; 02/22/22 05:17 PM.