Snipe - those fish in slide 14-15 I think were problematic fish that died for some reason. Not sure about a positive ID. From a distance they resemble SFS but the red fins are completely incorrect for healthy SFS. The scales on those fish are similar to SFS body side scales. As canyoncreek says maybe some chemical treatment or disease caused the red fins?? Those shiners in the picture appear to be too big for large red shiners and redfin shiners. Although a dead fish slide could have been inserted just as an example of Problems and Dead Fish??

I was not impressed with the slide presentation because it could have been a lot more informative with more details. The variety of spawning devices have evolved more since 2005-2007. Those cedar shingle spawn plates were used in a publication back in 1992 by a Sea Grant researcher here in Ohio. In the mid1990's I used those cedar shingle plates as described in the article and the referenced Power Point presentation. I did not like the shingles because they decomposed too quickly when underwater and the gap spacing between plates was too hard to make consistent widths. Ohio Aquaculture received grant money to set up a small satellite facility near me in the late 1990's early 2000's to study feasibility of spawning SFS as bait fish. That operator used plastic plates with washers or O rings as spacers. One of his goals was to try and spawn SFS year round. I don't think results were ever published due to operational problems.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/17/22 06:06 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management