Originally Posted by esshup
It will be interesting to see how this plays out in a pond setting. What will the offspring be like? I'm talking about growth rates, etc.

I think if there were reproduction ... the growth rates would be similar to just about any other strain that grows locally. I don't think the genetics make very much difference in most private water anyways.

Population structure is key. So here is how I might use a source like this. I might purchase small quantities of fingerlings to grow out to a stockable (and to a size I could sex by catheter). Having a high proportion of female (possibly 100%) would be more efficient. Condensed genetics of known superior examples might also be plus but to get the most out of anything requires plenty of food.

What I would really prefer is to buy ~1 lb < 1 year females certified as female and with some certification as to relative growth of the cohort (eg top quartile, 2nd quartile etc) GROWN SOLELY ON FORAGE for around $20 to $50 a pound. I would just want between 1 to 3 fish per acre/year for the ladder and might start with around 5 to 8/acre for the initial stocking. Something like this could work long term (with ladder) if one could prevent contamination of the pond with males. But even with contamination, if the forage population composed of many mid to smaller sized BG and the LMB population is mostly female, there may be very little or no recruitment LMB allowing for maximized LMB growth.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers