I'd say coverage of weeds is right around 25-35%. The most common are milfoil and floating leaf pondweed

I would ask the expert why fallen trees are needed for structure if there is 25% weed coverage that is by itself considered good fish habitat. With this much habitat in 16 acres to consistently catch fish, one would need to use unique angler methods that involve weed habitat adapted fishing.

To determine survivability of trout one would need to do a water temperature and dissolved oxygen (DO) study in deepest areas of the lake during the heat of summer lateJuly - early Aug to search for any cool water (65F) high DO (5ppm) refuge areas that exist. If none are found then trout would be a seasonal fishery.

If you are catching 4- 5 lb LMB then stocked trout should be 12"-14" to insure survivability. Having a successful seasonal quality trout fishery is not a cheap endeavor. Also unless the trout are fed pellets do not expect them to grow very much from fall to summer kill heat period. This is because the lake is at close to natural fish carrying capacity which means for not a lot of excess natural foods available because the current fishery is eating most all the available foods. Any new adult size fish would have to hunt hard to find enough foods to grow unless there is an abundance under utilized food that is not being used by the current fish community - very doubtful this easily available food exists. I don't think trout are all that naturally competitive compared to the current fish community in your lake.

I would check back with Spring Valley Trout to see if they would provide a couple names of trout suppliers. Trout farmers know well the competition. Sharing it is sometimes the problem. Check with the local game warden for names of closest trout farms. Michigan probably has an Aquaculture Association. Check it for names of trout farms. You should be able to arrange a piggy back or shared fish delivery during fall trout stocking time. To make the trout fishery a decent success for numerous anglers I think around 300-400 trout (20-30/ac) would need to be stocked in October. If you frequently fed the trout pellets they would be a lot easier to locate and catch. Laggis Fish Farm in Gobles MI sells fall trout. He might share / split a delivery with you if you buy enough trout.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/23/22 10:02 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management