Originally Posted by Bill Cody
Do you expect or are thinking the trout to live year round or do you expect them to die each Jul-Aug summer? There are a few trout places closer to Monroe than 3 hrs.

I question the depth of knowledge of your expert if he is suggesting to add trees for structure /cover when the lake has too many weeds in shallow water as you mentioned. Extensive herbicide treatments will get expensive for the HOA. No1 Can you provide an estimate of what percentage of the surface area is covered with weeds. No2 Do you know all the names of the weed species growing in the shallows in the lake?

I'd expect them to die as I'm not sure how cool the water stays at depth in the summer. The pond is supposedlyspring fed but I think it's more ground water table based on my knowledge of the area. With 17 acres I'm thinking the amount of trout I'd need to stock to see if they lived would be high. Maybe I'm wrong here? Bass fishing is amazing as is crappie. My first year from the bank I caught a 2 lb white crappie and a 5lb bass.

I'd say coverage of weeds is right around 25-35%. The most common are milfoil and floating leaf pondweed and then the phragmktes which are just on the shore edge. The pondweed is thickest and makes bank fishing challenging until I cut it with a throw razor and then rake it out. It makes great compost. The individual who came down to look at it is from the Traverse City area. Id share his name and company but not sure if that's permitted. The individual seemed knowledge and was helpful and was recommended by a local conservation district but they also use his services for an annual fish sale.

Which trout suppliers would you suggest? I was hoping the trout farm in Dexter would sell to the public but was told they will not. The other nearest I found was in Jackson, MI. Im hoping to learn .ore and more about the pond as we just purchased the property over a year ago and only one year of being over there.

Last edited by Dergib; 01/23/22 08:42 AM.