Originally Posted by FireIsHot
Originally Posted by tim k
I am wanting to add some Florida's to my pond - one and a half acres. I found some 1.5 to 3 lb that I can purchase - Camelot Bell in Texas has them at $100 a fish - plus $400 delivery - Sounds super expensive to me - is that the going rate?

Thanks Tim

I think both numbers are high, and yes, I have them. Pretty big gap between 1.5# and 3# when you're talking about LMB pricing. $100 for a 3#, I can see. Not for a 1.5# though. With correct forage for fingerlings(read that gape friendly), a pound and a half Camelot Bell is easy to hit in one summer, so the overhead is much lower. My Legacy LMB, which are Overton's CB strain, hit 2+#'s in 182 days. Forage cost for my hatchery pond was a tad expensive, but it got them in the big pond the same year I stocked them.

I will add that larger fish are hard to get right now, so they are more expensive then they used to be even a year or two ago. Between the mid 2021 Texas February freeze, pond owners refocusing on their ponds, limited availability, and increased overhead costs, fish prices have gone up. Fish are a commodity just like cattle, so when cost goes up, retail prices go up.

$400 for a 1 1/2 hour loaded trip is high, but bagging LMB that size seems iffy. Does Camelot Bell require transport as part of the purchase? If so, then that cost needs to be added to the actual fish purchase.

They told me that they do not deliver but could refer me to someone who will - the referral was to the owner's son who quoted the $400 - they will not guarantee the fish if I try to pick them up myself -
Originally Posted by FireIsHot
Originally Posted by tim k
I am wanting to add some Florida's to my pond - one and a half acres. I found some 1.5 to 3 lb that I can purchase - Camelot Bell in Texas has them at $100 a fish - plus $400 delivery - Sounds super expensive to me - is that the going rate?

Thanks Tim

I think both numbers are high, and yes, I have them. Pretty big gap between 1.5# and 3# when you're talking about LMB pricing. $100 for a 3#, I can see. Not for a 1.5# though. With correct forage for fingerlings(read that gape friendly), a pound and a half Camelot Bell is easy to hit in one summer, so the overhead is much lower. My Legacy LMB, which are Overton's CB strain, hit 2+#'s in 182 days. Forage cost for my hatchery pond was a tad expensive, but it got them in the big pond the same year I stocked them.

I will add that larger fish are hard to get right now, so they are more expensive then they used to be even a year or two ago. Between the mid 2021 Texas February freeze, pond owners refocusing on their ponds, limited availability, and increased overhead costs, fish prices have gone up. Fish are a commodity just like cattle, so when cost goes up, retail prices go up.

$400 for a 1 1/2 hour loaded trip is high, but bagging LMB that size seems iffy. Does Camelot Bell require transport as part of the purchase? If so, then that cost needs to be added to the actual fish purchase.

If you sell them I would like to talk with you - I do not need 3 pounders - I just want to introduce Floridas to my pond that will not be eaten by my native bass (of which I have some larger ones) - I am in Georgetown - thanks Tim