Before i get to the build part, there was lots of prep just to be able to get down to the site.
Between our house and the pond site, there is a small grass field before it drops into the wooded low spot area. This low spot wa significantly overgrown. We basically bushwacked our way just to get down to the old pond site. Thistles, vines, saplings, full on hardwoods, 65' poplars, etc.

This is how it looked during the summer months just after we purchased the property.
[Linked Image]

The proposed pond site is sorta down the hill, over the top of that hubcap that is somewhat pefectly placed in this shot.

As things thin out during the winter months, it doesnt look much better heading down the thick slopes.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So for the most of 2017 and 2018 i got to it. Spent on average 1-2 days a week with a chainsaw and clippers busting out lanes i could finally get the brushog down into. Beat the FEL up using it as a push bar and made piles and burned and did it all over and over again.

Sure, i could have hired or rented a skid steer with a mulching head and that would have saved me alot of time and effort. But in the end, it was me who did it. With my hands, my tractor and my stubbornness. Initial cleared space of approximately 3 acres.

Cost to date -
Husquavarna bars and chains, drive sprocket - $200ish
Stihl ms310 i got at auction - $245
Fuel - probably $300 (i am still amazed at how little fuel that kubota uses for the amount of work i get out of it)
Medical treatments - poison ivy and thorn stabs - $50
Busted brushog hose - $55
Physical toll - ughhhhhhh.....
Looking back assessment - hire out for a forestery mulcher. Well worth it.

I should have more pictures as this process went along but i went through a few phones and lost a bunch of pictures, and i am also a slacker about taking pictures as i get single minded focused at times.

Next up - the old pond site is finally uncovered. But the physical prep work is not done...

Last edited by PLF Ranch; 01/17/22 11:10 AM. Reason: Oops....