I need to build a new dock on my family's 4 acre pond.
My other family members insists the dock must be stationary, supported by piers, to allow safe access by wheelchair.
Even if a floating dock could be stable enough, they still wouldn't feel comfortable with it. So, floating is out of the question.

I wasn't able to build this summer but I am thinking building it in winter might be easier.
This is mid-michigan. The temps have been consistently around 20 and our pond is well frozen over.
The ice is plenty thick enough to walk on and seems level enough to build directly off from.
Is there any reason (besides being a bit cold for some) that winter isn't the best time to build a stationary dock??

I have been a professional designer and builder my whole life. I am very confident with the structural aspects of my construction plan;
My plan is to build a stationary dock using 0.60 treated 6x6's set into the mucky/gravel bottom.
The dock will be almost 30 ft long and will require 16 ft posts for the depth at the farthest distance.
I figure I can simply layout the dock on the ice, drill holes and sledgehammer the posts down till they won't move.
I realize crossbracing will be required so I plan to pre-install a single bolted 2x4 to each post before sinking it down then chainsaw a slot in the ice to pivot the braces across. Next, I can set the headers directly on the ice (which should be rather level, right? I can always check and shim) then bolt them to the posts. Finally I can drop on the joists and finish the framing/decking.....all while just standing on the ice!

It seems so obvious that I am surprised it's not common practice.
In facts, it seems almost too obvious and that it gives me pause.
I did a lot of web surfing and I did find one professional dock building company in Ontario who say they build docks on the ice all the time.
But other than that I am not finding anything.
I have personally built several houses and countless decks in winter but never a dock yet.
Am I overlooking something specific to winter dock building?

Last edited by DreamcatcherDB; 01/17/22 09:31 AM.