I wondered, during my dig time, how a tiller would have worked. Probably would have sped a few days up. Instead i resorted to my backhoe and worked it like there was no tomorrow..... But i am getting ahead of myself.

I hope i attached a few pictures successfully to this. They will help tell the tale.

The plan -
To build a pond with what i have, for as little out of pocket as possible.

There are a lot of really nice ponds on this site. I mean, REALLY nice.
And this will not be one of them.

The primary purpose of this pond will be for our viewing pleasure and stock watering when i finally finish fencing the property for sheep and goats (mostly to keep the growth down as i clear the thick, unmaintained acreage) and the misses wants an island in the pond so her ducks have a place to hang out. Fish? maybe, but not really anything of interest as We have a recreation spot down on the tennessee river so i have plenty of good fishing alternatives.

As you can see by the highly engineered plans loosely scribbled on some lined paper, i am planning on expanding the already present depression in the ground, leaving an area for an island, and fixing the dam which was breached at one time and now the reason why it isnt holding water. The dam will get higher and the depth will get greater.
[Linked Image]

The player-
My name is Pete. Went to school for and a 20+ year career in the health care industry on the practitioner side. I am crackin necks and cashin checks as a physical therapist. Did a three year stint in road construction early on in college and late high school where i learned to operate heavy equipment and secretly fell in love with big equipment. Looking back now, should have stuck with that as i would have made more money and had more fun. Looked forward to the day when i had land and my own equipment.

The property -
Rural west tennessee between memphis and nashville. Farm land and logging all around us. The soil is primarily clay that hold water like a bucket filled with bentonite so that works good for my plans, made for alot of work getting the misses garden spot established. Our property has a natural holler where the pond is that gets a good 11 or so acres of watershed. Tons of runoff during those massive gullywashers that occur here on a regular basis. Mostly woodlands on our property, lots of thick overgrowth. Do have a year round stream that is farther back in the property and that may be pond site #2 later on. The attached picture overhead shows where the pond will go and the watershed coming from the hills and the neighbors hay field.
[Linked Image]

The ptractor -
(Couldnt think of another p word)
I went through a lot of debate. Could have rented equipment, almost bought a few dozers/crawler loaders, quotes on hiring, etc. but in the end, decided to 'run what i brung' in the form of my low hour kubota. B3300 su, backhoe and cutting bar. Ended up putting alot of hours on it. I mean alot. No, really. A lot. Would i do it again the same way? Lets see by the end of this tale. How much did it cost in the end? We will see.... Pics of my "field office"
[Linked Image]

So thats the beginning.
Remember, this build attempt has already come and gone, so suggestions may be appreciated but wont be implemented. Its just my account of this process, the pitfalls, mistakes, successes, and learning opportunities for others.

And away we go

Last edited by PLF Ranch; 01/17/22 10:22 AM. Reason: Pics added