how effective the aerator will be at preventing spring weed growth,

I have never seen nor read any scientific based information or peer reviewed research about how bottom aeration will prevent spring submerged weed growth that would include curly leaf pond weed. I will assume the person who told you this,,,,, wants or plans for you to run the aerator 24/7. IMO 24/7 bottom aeration is often not necessary - depending on pond conditions, pond goals, and pond location.

Based on my extensive aquatic biology education(MS) with an emphasis in algae, I do not understand the rationale for how the bottom aeration will slow or prevent submerged weed growth. Aeration is "said" or promoted to inhibit phytoplankton growth especially harmful planktonic algae such as some of the Cyanobacteria species. This could be possible by tending to keep the floating nuisance types of tiny algae more in suspension. which it does not prefer. NOTE there are some Cyanobacteria problem types that will do well in mixing water. Be aware of sales 'Generalizations'. Mixing water could somewhat inhibit vulnerable types of algae providing the mixing currents are strong enough in the entire pond/reservoir. IMO in most all cases there would still be areas of most all ponds where slack / calm water exists. Thus the current mixing influence would be minimal in these areas. Is your pond adviser calling phytoplankton "submerged weed growth"?. I hope not.

There has been IMO a common misconception or limited research that aeration will reduce phosphorus (P) in ponds. This P reduction in the water column might occur but IMO it is to a small degree. If aeration could significantly reduce P there would be not a need for P reducing chemical products! Palm to forehead. If aeration really worked well, ponds with aeration would not develop algae problems. I have seen way too many ponds with aeration and them that are extensively covered with or containing nuisance algae problems. A good example is the FA alga Cladophora that is considered a P "hog". Cladophora as a warm water, long day length alga can grow really, really well diring summer / fall in ponds with good aeration. It can even overwinter in ponds for a resurge in warmer water. IMO Cladophora likely removes a LOT more P from the water than the aerator.

The other factor of aeration reducing weed growth to occur is this. Bottom aeration is designed to prevent stratification. Preventing stratification minimizes the production and release of P from the anoxic / anaerobic sediments. Destratification via aeration is said to reduce the amount of P(phosphorus) in the water column which would in theory tend to "starve" phytoplankton. This influence can be attributed to why some ponds clear up after aeration is installed. Maybe, maybe not. I question the degree or amount of P inhibition by aeration of the water column. Dissolved or reactive P from the sediments has a + charge and the ion is looking for - charged particles / ions which it often soon locates and then P becomes chemically bound, often to silt or carbonates, and it is then unavailable to plants. Plants require dissolved P (ortho P) for absorption and growth. Submerged plants obtain a lot of their P from the sediments with also a portion dissolved in the water column (aka a form of foliar feeding via their leaf epidermis and stoma) depending on the type of plant. So IMO curly leaf pond weed likely gets most of its N+P from the sediments because it is a rooted plant and that is what rooted plants do. So then,,,, knowing all this,,,, what is the justification for bottom aeration suppressing submerged weed growth? Specifically I would like to know just how does this happen????

Based on what you now know, I would definitely contact your pond advisor / manager and ask for an explanation of how the aerator actually slows, or prevents weed growth. I would definitely like to hear that information. How sound and accurate is that advice?? If that advice is not accurate how much of the manager's advice can you trust? What is the basis of his knowledge?? I have seen many weed choked and green water ponds with active bottom aeration. How are your pond weeds doing now after installing the aerator???? Curly leaf pond weed has a natural growth cycle. Rapid growth in spring until it flowers and produces seeds and turions. Thereafter a death collapse phase in mid late summer. Sprouting germination phase in fall. Dormancy in winter. Rapid growth in spring when water gets above 50-60F(10C+).

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/12/22 03:29 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management