I have tried for over two years to get my local NRCS guys to came out and take soil samples for our potential pond locations. I don't think "in a few months" is ever going to happen!

I always dig a few test pits on the farm every time I am doing some work with a rental backhoe or mini-excavator. I have a decent idea of my soil profiles around the farm.

However, the soils at my best pond locations are generally loamy sands that have an increase in clay content with depth. However, this soil WILL NOT hold water. Fortunately, I have a good layer of blue clay at depth in many locations for potential ponds.

To create my excavated ponds, I am going to have to create clay blankets in lifts for the sides of the ponds. I suspect this will be much easier to do when I have blue clay from depths of about 8' to 14'. I can excavate to the pond design depth without punching through my bottom seal, yet still have enough clay to seal the sides.

While planning this work, I realized it would be very helpful to have extremely accurate soil samples so I can pick my best sites and NOT excavate a 1-acre hole that I cannot seal.

My latest idea is to hire a nearby firm with a geoprobe unit and take lots of samples while I am still in the planning stages. (This method essentially vibrates a hollow rod into the ground. You then pull out the soil sample in a clear lexan sleeve for examination.) This testing will be a little pricey, but I think it will be worth the investment.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to optimize my soil sampling? (As regards the procedures, sampling grid, etc.)

Did anyone encounter difficulties with this method?

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Thanks,
FishinRod