Originally Posted by DrLuke
thanks Esshup. I have high hopes you got through the winter ok, and think your decision to turn on the air sooner rather than later was very smart. I watch WBJr's thread all the time about aeration at high altitudes in Colorado, and the discussion about super cooling. I have begun to wonder if maybe more species tolerate a great range of (low) temps than previously thought? There I go guessing again. I trust you and the other professionals and the fisheries biologists, and make every attempt to follow the advice given.

In my thread somewhere Bill Cody once said "the science of winter aeration is far from known". I can tell you there's a true North guy out there having tons of success running his diffusers 24/7 through harsh winters, even in consistent temps like -10F and as low as -30F. His LMB, CC, etc are thriving! Ice fishing action better than ever. His diffusers are suspended 12" below the water surface and he runs it 24/7. Average water depth 6'. Water temps are great and DO is off the charts. He has video'd water movement and measured DO improvement 200' away from the diffuser. Of course every pond is different and that is what works in his environment, but I'd be willing to bet it is the winter solution for you as well (diffuser depth negotiable).

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management