I have a 1 acre spring fed pond that I have owned for about 6 months. My family and I have spent a substantial amount of time fishing it and caught no bluegill, catfish, crappie, sunfish etc. We would catch the occasional large mouth that were typically in the 10-13 inch range. When I say occasionally I mean..if you walk around the entire pond you might catch 3-4. If 5-6 people fish for a couple hours we wont catch 10 bass. This led me to believe that the bass population is not overpopulated so I stocked 100 fingerling catfish, 500 bluegill, 500 red ear sunfish, and 20 lbs of minnows thinking that not enough LMB were present to stop the forage fish from establishing. Now Im beginning to doubt that the more time I spend learning about stocking ponds. The size of the bass points to an overpopulation problem but the fishing experience says otherwise...to the point that we were laughing about the fact that almost no fish at all were in the pond. When the adults are fishing with bass baits we will catch a few but We have spent hours at a time sometimes with kids fishing with crickets, jigs, wax worms, etc and wont catch a single LMB. Even though those arent aimed at LMB we all know that bluegill fishing in ponds with a lot of bass you always catch some with those baits. My question is does it seem more likely that the bass are actually overpopulated even though we can never catch them or was there just such a huge lack of forage fish for years and they havent grown. Again all that time we have not pulled a single fish out of the pond that wasnt a 10-13 inch LMB and very few of those.

Last edited by bowhunter857; 12/07/21 01:00 PM.