Numbers to stock are related to if the pond ends at 0.2 or 0.33 ac. Also affecting stocking density is how many, what size, and what species of predator are used. Matching up the numbers helps with the initial fishery balance. Also entering the equation is how many you are planning to harvest and when. Also included if bottom aeration and natural or pellet feeding are used. Amount of cover - habitat affects recruitment of fish. And we should not forget about ones goals for the pond. As you are seeing numerous factors contribute to fishery numbers.

Based on what you have told us so far the total panfish stocking density of around 125 is IMO okay especially since HBG and RES are not prolific spawners. Subtract several if pond is 0.2 ac and you can add 25-30 if the pond is a big 0.3 ac. I try not to overstock unless a decent harvest and pellet feeding are planned the first year. IMO I would start with the SBS hybrid instead of the regular hybrid sunfish. I say this because the SBS after several generations will not revert back toward the green sunfish. Also the SBS may also have a stronger tendency to eat some snails which are a favorite food of RES and half the cross of the SBS hybrid. At this point I do not see any big disadvantage of the SBS backcrossing the RES. Plus you can periodically return to this thread and tell us the progress of your fishery to help educate all of us more about growing pond fish. We all need to learn more about how the SBS performs in ponds.

Get a couple or build wire mesh fish traps to monitor the small fish recruitment. I prefer the Gee minnow traps and spray paint them a drab color. Avoid rubber coated wire mesh traps, as cautious fish tend to avoid these traps. You can build larger versions of these traps to catch larger fish. All your panfish species will readily enter fish traps. The traps will also allow you to monitor the relative numbers of FHminnow population. Make good notes about the catches in traps so you can compare trap catch results as the years pass. You will see a noticeable difference of trap catch results between years 1-2 and 5-7 and beyond as the fishery matures.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/04/21 12:06 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management